Wednesday 22 February 2012

Brit fever

So last night the country (and I'm pretty sure in it's entirety) witnessed the 32nd Brit Awards. And what a night it was. Predictable in places, but with some spine-chilling performances it's definitely my most memorable to date.

What better way to start the show than with the magnificent Coldplay. Literally cannot get enough of them at the minute, after having a few years off my radar. In fact, sat listening to Yellow as I write this, ha! Their new album is just phenomenal. I often worry I'm the only one who thinks this, as no one else seems to be talking about it? Or maybe that's just because no one can say it? Just as I suspected it's 'my lo zy le toe', as confirmed by a fan-site! Anyway, their performance of Charlie Brown, which I think could probably be one of my favourite Coldplay songs of all time, was flawless.

The night featured many other performances, including some fairly lacklustre ones (in my opinion) from the likes of Bruno Mars, Olly Murs and Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. None of them really stood out for me, despite their best efforts.

Florence's performance of No Light, No Light was breathtaking. But then, again so is she. So good to see a female doing well in the music industry that doesn't seem to fit the 'mould', and isn't afraid to be different. We Found Love by Rihanna was pretty good too, but she's starting to become a bit predictable for me now. And whilst most felt her oversized jumper, shorts and Timberland boots combo was some sort of amazing fashion statement, I just found myself wondering why she hadn't made more effort on perhaps the most important night of the year for the music industry. Ah well. The same went for Ed Sheeran, as he opted to perform in a green element t shirt. Bit disappointed, as that seems the be the kind of thing my boyfriend slobs about in a on a Sunday morning.

Adele was outstanding, as always, another example of a fearless female with an inspiring non-conformist attitude. Her middle finger salute to the show's bosses at the end as her acceptance speech was cut short was just the best! Tell it like it is girl. She walked away with two Brits, the first for Best Female Solo Artist, beating the likes of Florence and the Machine, Jessie J, Kate Bush and Laura Marling. Certainly a worthy winner there. The second Brit, the most prestigious of the night, the Mastercard British Album of the Year. Have to admit though, I was rooting for Coldplay for this one. Still deserving nonetheless.

All in all, a pretty good night music wise. But there was one person who I felt let me down a bit, and that was none other than the mighty JC - James Corden. I actually love the guy, and most the time he makes my sides split, but last night I just felt he was a bit too full of himself. I mean, that joke about Rihanna having the painters in was just gross!

Jessie J annoyed me too. I was beginning to warm to her when JC spoke to her about her upcoming venture The Voice on ITV1, when she threw in "I'm not a judge, I'm a coach!" I couldn't have put it better myself than when Grace Dent tweeted "just as i was thawing to jessie j. she does that coach not judge blah.#BritAwards2012" Haha, fail.

Looks like a good night was had by all, and my personal highlights included One Direction trying to conceal all the empty bottles on their table as JC chatted to them, Lana Del Ray's emotional acceptance speech upon winning Best International Breakthrough Act and of course the standing ovation Adele received after her performance of Rolling In The Deep.

Next year I'm hoping whoever plays the show out will have practiced a bit more (think Blur could've done with a bit longer) and the winners slightly less predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment