Wednesday 29 February 2012

Happy to say I'm not part of the 88%..

My old friend Wikipedia defines a New years resolutions as "a commitment that a person makes to one or more personal goals, projects, or the reforming of a habit." Numerous magazine features and newspaper articles state that most people have given up by the end of February. 'Most people' meaning a whopping 88%. So I thought that now would be as good a time as any to do a bit of a review of mine.

They were pretty wide and completely varied.

1. Lose my 'freshman fifteen'.
Well that one's still ongoing I guess, despite a few setbacks. This like many of the others wasn't going to happen overnight. And whilst I may not be as far with it as I may have liked, I'm still trying my best. There's got to be something to be said for that.

2. Watch less telly
Photo: Jeff Golden
Hmm. A hard one to gage really. If anything, I think I probably watch more now, as there have been so many interesting things on since new year; How to cook like Heston, The Fabulous Bake Brothers and One Born Every Minute, to name just a few. This resolution will probably come into play when spring makes an appearance, as the days will be longer and I'll not be home and snuggled up on the sofa so early.

3. Stop biting my nails
Achieved! I did do this for a good month or so. But then with my typical impatient nature, I couldn't be arsed to wait for them to grow any longer and I had acrylic nail extensions! Haha, oops. However, when I decide to give my nails a break in a month or so, I'm confident I won't revert back to my old biting ways.

4. Don't start arguments with my Rob
Think this has been achieved as well to be honest. Has to be said I can be a bugger for starting arguments, but I've found that a little bit of tongue-biting and self-control can really go a long way.

5. Read the modern classics
Admittedly, this was a bit of a late comer in terms of resolutions, and I only decided I wanted to do this around the end of January. Started out well, with me reading 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck. But I seem to have mislaid my copy of it now?! Not sure where the hell it is, so might have to postpone that for now and make a start on my next one.

Hmm, so that's 2 resolutions achieved indefinitely, and 2 more ongoing. Think I can probably permit myself to scrap 'watch less telly' as I am a self-confessed TV addict. Maybe I could tweak it to watch more relevant programs or write about what I watch? But then again, my beloved Emmerdale and Coronation Street seem to take up most of my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment